Soroi Serengeti Lodge is an excellent option for travelers seeking pretty luxurious accommodation in the central region of the wildlife-rich national park. Owned and operated by Mbali Mbali, a company specializing in lodges and camps throughout Tanzania, Soroi's accommodation options include rooms for families as well as luxurious double rooms for couples on a romantic break. Soroi has a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor, with travelers praising the lodge staff’s attention to detail.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The property is accessed via road transfer from Seronera Airstrip, a journey along a neat road through the bush, ending in a climb to Soroi’s elevated position.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SOROI SERENGETI LODGE:
The communal lodge is a timber, stone, and thatch structure in the classic safari style. It is raised on stilts and has several levels. Within this building, guests find the lounge, restaurant, and bar. The lounge contains plenty of comfortable seating around coffee tables, while the restaurant has sturdy separate tables and upright chairs. Midway horizontally between these spaces is the lodge’s well-stocked bar! The building also incorporates a variety of terraces, one boasting a swimming pool. There’s a fire-pit too, perfect for getting to know your fellow travelers and sharing those safari stories! The design of the lodge is really very clever, and we particularly like the little bridge over the pool. Of course, the views are absolutely spectacular – guests are able to gaze for miles over the Musabi Plains.
Guest accommodation at Soroi consists of 25 thatched chalets, all connected to the communal lodge along raised wooden walkways. There are two categories – Luxury Safari Room and Safari Room – and five subcategories, being Double and Family for each option and Twin Safari Room. All rooms are comfortably furnished. They feature large windows and viewing decks to maximize the views, and an earthy palette to complement the natural surroundings. Every option within the Safari Room category boasts a four-poster bed, twin beds, or both, as well as mosquito nets, a writing desk, a luggage rack, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, bidet, washbasin, indoor bathtub, and outdoor shower. Additional amenities include a fan, a phone, a safe, a hairdryer, Wi-Fi, 24-hour electricity, and 220V power points for charging your electrical equipment. The Luxury Safari Room options benefit from all these features, plus a separate living area, a mini-bar, twin washbasins, and bath robes!
ACTIVITIES AT SOROI SERENGETI LODGE:
From this luxurious base camp, guests enjoy a good range of safari activities:
- Game drives start out in early morning and return late in the afternoon.
- This area of the Serengeti is home to a real wealth of wildlife! The Great Migration sees huge herds of wildebeest, zebra, and gazelles thundering across the plains throughout May/June and November/December, but the park is great for game viewing all year round.
- Among the predators, you might spot are lion, leopard, cheetah, hyenas, jackals, and wild dog, while the herbivore count includes elephant, buffalo, giraffe, and a fine assortment of antelopes.
- Soroi also offers brilliant bird watching! Upwards of 500 species have been recorded in the Serengeti, with highlights such as Fischer’s lovebird, rufous-tailed weaver, and grey-breasted spurfowl.
- And hot air balloon safaris are available too, and highly recommended – the experience begins at dawn and provides a stunning bird’s-eye view of the plains and farther afield.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.