Serengeti Pioneer Camp is owned and operated by Elewana Collection, a company that prides itself on providing unique accommodation in iconic locations. Elewana properties can be found across Tanzania and Kenya, and on Zanzibar! This camp has a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor and is renowned for its superb service standards. The price of your stay depends on whether you opt for the Game Package or the Full Board basis, so please contact us for further information.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is usually accessed via an hour’s game-drive transfer from Seronera Airstrip. Permanent in design, yet inspired by the mobile camps of the 1930s, it’s situated in the Moru Kopjes region of the Serengeti on a rocky outcrop amidst acacia trees. This is a particularly wildlife-rich part of the park, with impressive resident game throughout the year.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SERENGETI PIONEER CAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of ten standard tents and one family tent. All occupy the slopes of the hill, and each tent is very spacious. At the front, a length of canvas is rigged up over wooden decking to create a veranda. Set with chairs and a table, this is a great spot for relaxing and marveling at the scenery! Inside every standard tent, you’ll find either a king-size bed or two queen-size beds with mosquito nets, bedside tables and lighting, a couple of storage trunks, a writing desk and chair, a seating area, and ample storage furniture. The palette is mainly neutrals and earth tones. To one side of the bedroom, behind a floor-to-ceiling wooden board, there’s a flush toilet, washbasin within a vanity unit, and step-up shower. The family tent is effectively two standard tents joined together, and triple rooms are available too.
Serengeti Pioneer Camp’s communal facilities are located a short stroll from the guest accommodation. At the top of the site is the lounge, housed in a delightful makuti-thatched structure that’s open-sided to make sure guests can enjoy amazing views! The lounge contains sumptuous seating around coffee tables, a number of trunks used as occasional tables, and a few classic campaign chairs too. The dining room is found in a tent that’s similar in style to the guest accommodation, complete with veranda area. Inside, chic separate tables are flanked by more campaign chairs, and there’s a well-stocked bar. This is the setting for hearty breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, although guests are welcome to dine al fresco or request a picnic lunch if they plan to be out all day. The camp has a plunge pool too, which is the perfect place for cooling off in between activities! A line of sunloungers is set up alongside.
ACTIVITIES AT SERENGETI PIONEER CAMP:
- The camp offers one activity – game drives! These take place during early morning and late afternoon into evening, and they’re the best way to see all the resident wildlife. The sprawling savanna and sweeping woodlands of the Serengeti’s south-central region are home to a real wealth of wildlife.
- All year-round, the Big Five species are here – that’s lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- There are plenty of smaller predators and herbivores too, and loads of birds!
- If you stay here from January to March or from May to June, you can expect to see the huge herds of the Great Migration.
- Almost two million wildebeest, zebra, and gazelles move through the area during these times in their search for good grazing.
- Calving takes place during most of February, while the later months are rutting season on the plains! All game drives are enjoyed in the company of knowledgeable and experienced guides, so fantastic sightings are guaranteed.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.*