Londolozi Founders Camp is family owned and run. Its name honors everyone who has helped establish the Londolozi Reserve, from the area’s beginnings in 1926 until the present day. The camp has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! Accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, two game drives daily, safari walks, one group yoga session daily, the Cubs Den program, transfers between camp and the Londolozi airstrip, and a laundry service. The camp is open all year round and children aged 6 years and older are welcome.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via road transfer from the local airstrip. It’s situated amidst ancient matumi trees on the banks of the seasonal Sand river. The river attracts a wealth of wildlife!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LONDOLOZI FOUNDERS CAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of just ten superior chalets, including three for family use. All units are classic timber, stone, and thatch structures. Inside each chalet, you’ll find a spacious bedroom featuring king-size or twin bed/s with mosquito nets, bedside tables and lighting, a writing or vanity table and chair, and a separate seating area. Additional amenities include air conditioning, room fans, telephone, internet access, mini-bar, in-room safe, and hairdryer. Furnishings are light and bright, and interesting photographs adorn the walls. The en-suite facilities are very well appointed, with flush toilet, large twin washbasins with mirror over, shower, and bathtub with an amazing view! You can also marvel at the scenery from your private veranda, which boasts a couple of chairs and a table, two sunloungers within a shady sala, and an inviting plunge pool. And the family chalet option offers extra space to accommodate children.
Founders’ lounge, dining areas, and bar are housed in the camp’s large lodge, which is also made out of timber, stone, and thatch. The design is open plan. In the lounge space, comfortable and stylish seating surrounds chic coffee tables, on which are displayed a few books, potted plants, and intriguing artifacts. Further such objects are positioned on sideboards, and one wall is dedicated to black-and-white portrait photographs. Moving through to the indoor dining area, you’ll find elegant tables and upright chairs laid out in readiness for delicious meals – and the bar is conveniently close by. Just outside, there’s a dining deck, complete with spectacular vistas over the reserve! Founders also has a fantastic yoga deck, set up in the sturdy boughs of a 500-year-old ebony tree. And guests of this camp have access to several of the communal facilities at Varty Camp, located a short distance to the east. Varty offers a fitness center, spa, boutique, kids club, and photographic studio.
ACTIVITIES AT LONDOLOZI FOUNDERS CAMP:
An exhilarating variety of things to do is available here.
- Most of the action takes place in the Londolozi Reserve, which covers an impressive 16,000 hectares of savanna, woodlands, and water sources.
- Game drives start out from camp during early morning and late afternoon, with expert guides on hand to ensure you enjoy sightings of plenty of wildlife!
- The reserve is home to all Big Five species – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- Smaller predators in residence include cheetah, hyenas, jackals, and wild dog, while the herbivore count features giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and oodles of antelopes!
- Humungous hippo frequent the rivers, especially during green season in the reserve.
- If you’re a keen birder, you can have fun looking out for all sorts of specials – Gabar goshawk, half-collared kingfisher, croaking cisticola, and the vibrant emerald cuckoo.
- Founders’ safari walks present ample opportunities for birdwatching, as well as taking a close look at Londolozi’s plant life and insect life.
- You can also enjoy photographic safaris, village walks, and community visits.
- Yoga sessions are held regularly on the camp’s deck.
- And children aged 6–16 years will love Varty Camp’s Cubs Den, where they can take part in spoor identification, bug catching, African dance, dung spitting, and much more besides!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.