Leeu Estates is an excellent option for travelers hoping to explore the Winelands, including Franschhoek, from a very sumptuous sort of base camp! The property is owned by Leeu Collection, whose portfolio includes YZ favorite Le Quartier Français! The company operates in partnership with Mullineux & Leeu Family Wines and on the estate, you'll find La Petite Colombe, which is considered one of the best restaurants in the world!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Most travelers opt to drive to Leeu Estates from Cape Town, a journey lasting approximately one-and-a-half hours. A road through the grounds leads you to the country house, known as The Manor House, which contains the communal facilities and some of the guest accommodation.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LEEU ESTATES:
Occupying a lofty position within the estate, this building boasts a traditional Cape Dutch frontage flanked by a row of majestic oak trees. The interiors are equally impressive! They include a sumptuous reading room, featuring comfortable armchairs and sofas and a cozy fireplace. The dining room has a fireplace too, in addition to smart separate tables and chairs. Guests may also tuck in to delicious meals on the house’s terrace, while enjoying splendid views across the estate. Complimentary wine tasting is available at the property’s own studio! Travelers who like to keep fit on vacation will appreciate the estate’s gym, while those in need of a little R&R are well served by the superb spa, which includes a steam room. There is also a 15-meter swimming pool!
One major highlight of a stay at Leeu Estates is dining at La Petite Colombe restaurant, which is famous worldwide for its exquisite cuisine. Sister restaurant to the well-established La Colombe in Cape Town, this smaller eatery is every inch as sophisticated as the older sibling and offers equally high service standards. The fabulous restaurant is set up in a stand-alone space within the beautiful gardens, offering glorious river and mountain views paired with some of the finest cuisine in the world.
Guest accommodation at Leeu Estates consists of a range of Classic, Deluxe, and Studio Rooms, Executive Suites, Cottages, and Max House. All categories boast beautifully made up beds, natural linen upholstery, sisal carpets, and very well-appointed en-suite bathrooms, creating the ultimate in understated elegance. The Cottages and House categories may be booked in part or in whole. Each Classic Room is situated within The Manor House or Max House and provides amazing views, of either the grounds or the mountainous backdrop. The Deluxe Rooms are found in both the main house and the Cottages – this category offers gorgeous scenery too, and is more spacious than the Classic option. The Studio provides over 60 square meters of floor space, and features a fireplace and a private terrace. These rooms are dotted around The Manor House, the spa, and one of the cottages within the grounds. The Executive Suites are larger still – 97 square meters! – and also include a fireplace as well as a lounge or study area. Both Cottages are made up of one Executive Suite and one Deluxe Room, plus terraces and a private garden. Finally, Max House comprises two Classic Rooms and one Executive Suite, with courtyard and private garden.
ACTIVITIES AT LEEU ESTATES:
- There is plenty to do on site, such as visiting the wine-tasting studio, taking a tour of the herb and vegetable garden, and exploring the whole estate on foot or by bike via the network of nature trails.
- Bikes are available for free, so guests might like to explore a little farther afield!
- The town of Franschhoek is only 15 minutes’ walk away, or 3 minutes’ drive if you take up the offer of a complimentary transfer.
- The name of the town means ‘French corner’, referencing the early settlers who set up farms here.
- These farms are now wineries! A sense of history remains in Franschhoek’s Huguenot Monument and Cape Dutch architecture.
- There is an interesting museum, well worth a visit.
- The town is also renowned for the quality of its restaurants, including one of the Top 50 restaurants in the world!
- So if you enjoy wining and dining, this is a fabulous destination for you.