Elsa’s Kopje is highly recommended for travelers to Meru National Park – we reckon it’s the park’s top camp! The range of activities is brilliant and the accommodation is super-stylish. Undoubtedly a big thumbs-up from YZ!
It is named after the lioness reared by George and Joy Adamson. Elsa used to play around this site. The Adamsons’ experiences are presented in Joy’s bestselling book Born Free (1960) and the famous film of the same title (1966). The camp is a member of the Elewana Collection, a portfolio of properties based in Africa’s most iconic locations.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Elsa’s Kopje is positioned high up on Mughwango Hill, with amazing views of the park below.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT ELSA'S KOPJE MERU:
The communal areas of camp are nestled neatly among rocks and trees, well merged with the surroundings. On the lower level, there is the reception area, incorporating the small shop that stocks both practical and curio items. The upper level is accessed by ascending just a few steps. Here, there are two generously proportioned stone-and-thatch buildings, joined by a short corridor. These are the lounge/bar and the dining room. Both are open-fronted, affording spectacular views of the park. The lounge/bar has plenty of comfortable seating, while the dining room contains separate tables amid large rocks over a polished stone floor. The camp’s swimming pool is situated within the grounds, as is the spa. Both boast amazing views too!
The guest accommodation at Elsa’s Kopje is very comfortable and comprises four options – cottage suite, honeymoon suite, family cottage and private house. Like the main areas, all buildings are constructed from stone and thatch, blending seamlessly into the landscape. The cottage suites are doubles, bar one twin, with lounge or deck and en-suite bathroom. It is possible to fit an extra bed into a couple of the suites, if required. The honeymoon suites are all doubles, and two of the three suites have a romantic outdoor bath! The family cottage boasts two bedrooms, both with en-suite facilities, in addition to a spacious lounge and deck. Finally, the private house also comprises two en-suite bedrooms, plus a large lounge/diner and garden featuring infinity swimming pool! Just contact us for further details.
*For families with children under the age of 6 years, we always request a ground floor room for safety reasons.*
ACTIVITIES AT ELSA'S KOPJE MERU:
Elsa’s Kopje offers an excellent assortment of activities, based in and around Meru National Park.
- Game drives provide opportunities to view the park’s impressive populations of lion and elephant, smaller species such as caracal, aardwolf, lesser kudu, and over 400 types of bird!
- Night drives are available too.
- Guests also enjoy day trips to the Tana River and to the local Rhino Sanctuary, well worth a visit.
- A range of walks is possible, for example climbing Mughwango Hill.
- There is also river fishing and getting to know the local people.
- You can even visit Elsa’s grave and perhaps take a moment to muse on the conservation work of the Adamsons. There really is plenty to do here!
- Back at camp, the swimming pool is a great place to relax and unwind between activities, while the spa is perfect for a massage, manicure or pedicure.
- There are no age restrictions, though the managers advise against bringing very young children (under five years) here. Although there is no formal children’s club, the guides are well able to keep the youngsters entertained on safari.