Take your seats for the greatest wildlife show on Earth. The 'Great Migration' is one of the planet's most amazing wildlife events. Vast herds of wildebeest, zebra, and gazelles migrate from the southern Serengeti in Tanzania to Kenya's Maasai Mara in their constant search for fresh grasses. The Serengeti is the mother of all safari parks, its endless open plains are not only the stomping ground of the Great Migration but also home to the highest concentration of predators anywhere in Africa.
The Great Migration is a cyclical event that takes place all year. Travelling to the right area of the Serengeti in any month guarantees sightings of the herds. Below, we give a summary of the herds’ movements and the best camps at different prices.
January – March: Predators of the Serengeti & Wildebeest Calving Season
These months see a huge build-up of predators in the southern Serengeti and Ndutu plains. This is probably the best time of year to see cheetah anywhere in Africa! February is calving season for the herds – approximately 500,000 wildebeest are born this month.
- Location: southern Serengeti, Ndutu
- Camps: Nasikia Luxury Mobile ($), Olakira ($$), Alex Walker’s Serian ($$$)
April & May: Wildebeest herds move towards central Serengeti
With all the newborn wildebeest, this is a time when the herd size is especially high. Central, southern Serengeti is the place to be as the herds amble northwards, getting ready for the big push towards Lobo and the far north.
- Location: central Serengeti
- Camps: Naona Moru ($), Dunia ($$), Serengeti Safari Camp ($$$), Singita Faru Faru ($$$$)
June: Wildebeest herds cross the Grumeti River
June often sees the herd split up into two large groups. Some start to move directly north, whereas the largest ‘mega’ herd sweeps round to the western corridor. This is a major migration month as the herds push north. It is also the time of year when the herds cross Grumeti River.
- Location: central Serengeti, Serengeti western corridor
- Camps: Naona Moru ($), Ubuntu ($$), Serengeti Safari Camp ($$$), Singita Faru Faru ($$$$)
July – early August: Wildebeest Crossing the Crocodile Infested Mara River
This is a major migration month as the herds are in the middle of their major push north. The first wildebeest herds start crossing the crocodile-infested Mara River – it is a fabulous time to be in this remote part of the park.
- Location: Lobo, Kogatende (the north)
- Camps: Nasikia Luxury Mobile ($), Ubuntu ($$), Alex Walker’s Serian ($$$), Singita Faru Faru ($$$$)
Mid-August – October: Daily Herd Crossings of the Mara River
This is a superb time of year for the river crossings of the Mara, which continue almost daily throughout this period. It is a quiet region with a few camps, making for an exclusive game-viewing area that is arguably the best in the whole park.
- Location: Kogatende (the north)
- Camps: Nasikia Luxury Mobile ($), Olakira ($$), Alex Walker’s Serian and Serengeti Lamai ($$$)
November & December: Unpredictable Wildebeest Herd Movements
This is a fairly difficult time to predict the movement of the herds as they push south. Some move east to Loliondo, others move through the heart of the park.
- Location: central Serengeti, Loliondo, south central Serengeti
- Camps: Naona Moru ($), Dunia ($$), Serengeti Safari Camp ($$$) or Pioneer ($$$)
For the complete guide on where the Great Migration is at each month, take a look at the below. Alternatively, contact us for the most up-to-date information about special offers and the current location of the herds.