Owned and operated by The Safari Collection, the lodge boasts a fantastic team of staff from the local community and is a great option for travellers hoping to get away from the crowds. This is quite possibly the best camp in Samburu! We love that Moroccan style. But it is a camp with a conscience too, employing staff from the local community and doing its utmost to support local projects such as Euaso Lions, which encourages peaceful co-existence of people and wildlife. Altogether, very impressive!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
It has a lovely location on the banks of the Ewaso Nyiro River, on a rocky ridge high above the savanna of Samburu.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SASAAB CAMP:
The communal areas of camp are housed within a grand building with Moroccan influences. It has a high thatched roof and walls incorporating Arabic arches and pillars over whitewashed stone floors. The lounge has plenty of comfortable seating with colourful cushions, all arranged around low coffee tables for a laidback feel. There are lots of books for guests to enjoy – or you can simply sit and marvel at the views of the River and beyond! The dining area is elegantly furnished with wooden tables and upright chairs. Guests may choose to dine separately or with fellow travellers, with the managers hosting the meal. Outside, there is a large swimming pool in the shade of trees – this is surrounded by sunloungers and is the perfect place to relax in between activities!
Guest accommodation at Sasaab comprises nine tents, all positioned well apart from each other along the ridge. This is seriously spacious accommodation – each room occupies over 100 square metres! The guest tents are similar in style to the main lodge, with thatched roof and whitewashed floors. The walls, however, are canvas, which provides more of an authentic safari feel. All tents are billed as a Luxury Suite except for one Family Suite, which has two en-suite bedrooms. Each luxury unit contains a four-poster Zanzibari bed, in addition to bedside tables, a writing desk and chair, ample storage space, a lounge area, a safe, a coolbox, and even a sketch pad and watercolour paints for guests who are feeling artistic! The en-suite facilities are contained within a separate room and consist of flush toilet, twin washbasins and shower. Just outside the entrance, there is either a veranda or mini-garden – and finally, there is a private plunge pool. Wow!
*Please be aware that we are unable to book this property for families with young children under the age of 6 years, for safety reasons relating to the balconies, decks and railings.*
ACTIVITIES AT SASAAB CAMP:
Sasaab provides a fine assortment of activities.
- Game drives are available both in Samburu and in Buffalo Springs, a vast reserve to the south of the River.
- Both areas are renowned for their own Big Five – Grevy’s zebra, gerenuk, Beisa oryx, reticulated giraffe, and Somali ostrich. Other wildlife commonly seen here includes lion, leopard, cheetah, buffalo, elephant, hyena and a few wild dog. The River teems with hippo and crocodile, while the birdlife is brilliant – over 350 species live in both reserves!
- Birding is another popular activity from Sasaab, as are the lodge’s guided walks.
- Guests can take a camel ride too – and if you are feeling adventurous, you might like to trek as far as Sasaab’s fly camp on the outskirts of the Conservancy, to spend a night or two sleeping under the stars!
- Quad biking is now offered as an activity at Sasaab. The lodge has four quad bikes available for guests.
- Other excursions include visiting a local village – Wednesdays and Thursdays are particularly interesting, as these are market days – or a women’s beading group, or the Primary School at Ngutuk Ongiron.
- And finally, Sasaab has its own spa, SpaSaab, supplying beauty treatments and massages at extra cost.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.